Subject: Re: /etc/rc.d/ runs slowsly
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <>
From: Greg A. Woods <>
List: current-users
Date: 04/09/2000 13:11:31
[ On Sunday, April 9, 2000 at 13:00:44 (+0200), Manuel Bouyer wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: /etc/rc.d/ runs slowsly
> On Sat, Apr 08, 2000 at 11:37:31PM -0400, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> > [...]
> > WARNING: this patch uses 'fgrep' even though it isn't in /usr/bin.  I
> > can get away with this because I keep /usr on my root filesystem (where
> > it belongs! :-).  If it's not appropriate to move 'grep' to /bin for the
> Maybe the functionality you're looking for should just be intergrated into
> ps ?

I don't really like that idea in general, or even that way of thinking.

A generic grep-like tool is of great use in any shell-scripting venture
and it would be a valuable addition to /bin.  A filter that uses
pmatch(9) would be great, but a basic fgrep would be fine too.

Of course having pmatch(3) and using it in ps(1) would be OK too, but
only in addition to, not instead of, a generic tool.

							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <>      <robohack!woods>
Planix, Inc. <>; Secrets of the Weird <>