Subject: Re: /etc/rc.d/ runs slowsly
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/09/2000 13:19:51
[ On Sunday, April 9, 2000 at 13:03:32 (+0200), Manuel Bouyer wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: /etc/rc.d/ runs slowsly
>
> Hey, some of us still do have small disks and a nfs-mounted /usr !!

On a machine with no compiler I can fit all of /usr on even my smallest
hard drive (105MB).  But of course then you do need two such disks.  But
of course you want two such disks if you want the system to go at any
decent speed.  You can always union-mount a remote partition with the
compiler stuff in it if you really think you need a local compiler.

There's absolutely no advantage, and many disadvantages, to putting a
root filesystem on a local disk and then NFS-mounting /usr.  The only
reason you might think you have to do this is if you absolutely cannot
boot your machine from the network (which of course isn't an entirely
uncommon problem, but in that case you can just about as easily arrange
to have the root filesystem on NFS too -- just boot your kenel from the
local disk).

(There is advantage in having a local swap disk if your disk is indeed
faster than the network -- I do have disks smaller than 105MB, but
they're slower than an empty 10mbit ethernet so they're practially
useless! :-)

--
							Greg A. Woods