Subject: Re: Not the standard rc.d complaint
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/08/2000 22:47:00
On Sun, 9 Apr 2000, Greg A. Woods wrote:

# [ On Saturday, April 8, 2000 at 21:40:33 (-0500), Dave Huang wrote: ]
# >
# > If I'm telnetted/sshed into a machine and do a "shutdown -r now", the
# > rc.d/network script says "Downing network interfaces:" and proceeds to
# > do exactly that. Which leaves me with a hung ssh session that I have to
# > manually close, and bunch of other hung TCP connections that may
# > eventually time out and die (or may not if they don't send anything).
# > This is annoying :) With the Old Way, the kernel would RST all
# > connections before it shut down.
#
# That's one of the annoying things indeed.  Another is if your home
# directory happens to be an NFS mount and you happen to do the shutdown
# from there.  Watch out for lots of stupid messages about ignoring NFS
# errors.

Yet more reasons not to have changed something that worked.

# I'm not sure how to reconcile this with the need to have support for
# shutting down such things when an rc.d script is explicitly invoked to
# do so from the command line though.  Perhaps the shutdown command could
# export a variable to the environment to indicate that it's really going
# to halt or reboot the machine and that some shutdown hooks can be
# skipped since init and/or the kernel takes care of them.

Gee.  THERE'S an elegant solution (can you say "band-aid"?).

# It took the SysV folks quite some time to learn some of these lessons.
# Let's not repeat their learning curve again -- we should be able to ramp
# up much faster with this hindsight and the collective experience of
# everyone in this forum.

Sorry, we've already made the first mistake.  We're just a little too
late to be considering this.

				--*greywolf;
--
BSD:  Got source?