Subject: Re: The new rc.d stuff...
To: Secret Asian Man <cchen@nougat.org>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/08/2000 18:41:15
On Sat, 8 Apr 2000, Secret Asian Man wrote:

# On Thu, 6 Apr 2000, Christos Zoulas wrote:
#
# > /etc/rc.d/amd restart
#
# And how does this work well for you? Sure, you killed the process, but you
# could have HUPed it... I mean, it is a standard signal which amd should
# respect. I don't see how kill -HUP `cat /var/run/amd.pid` is worse than
# using a pretty script that hides it all from you that basically does the
# same thing...

Christopher,

1.  This battle is over.  We can not fix it in the distribution.  We *can*
    fix it in other ways which I've proposed (for which I thank you for
    your support).

2.  Even admins get tired of typing all that sh..um, stuff in on the
    command line.  I wrote a dstart/dstop/dstat script which seemed to
    do the right thing, but it was not a friendly venture and it missed
    a lot of stuff.

3.  rc.d is not the root of all evil.

4.  Typically, I don't even use the backticks on the /var/run file.  I
	use ps ax | grep and handle it manually, myself, most of the time.

# --
# Christopher Kyin-hwa Chen <cchen@nougat.org>
# <http://www.nougat.org/~cchen/>
# "Little. Yellow. Bitter."

"I guess." :-)

Let us focus on the rc.conf part of this and see if we can at least make
that part selectable (and I think we can -- hopefully the implementors of
that part will agree).

				--*greywolf;
--
                 A _Real_ Operating System for _Real_ Hackers.

                 With many thanks to the core team and UCB CSRG.