Subject: Re: The new rc.d stuff...
To: Secret Asian Man <cchen@nougat.org>
From: Christos Zoulas <christos@zoulas.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/08/2000 19:56:28
On Apr 8,  4:35pm, cchen@nougat.org (Secret Asian Man) wrote:

| On Thu, 6 Apr 2000, Christos Zoulas wrote:
|
| > /etc/rc.d/amd restart
|
| And how does this work well for you? Sure, you killed the process, but you
| could have HUPed it... I mean, it is a standard signal which amd should
| respect. I don't see how kill -HUP `cat /var/run/amd.pid` is worse than
| using a pretty script that hides it all from you that basically does the
| same thing...

I did try "restart" not "reload"; the semantics are quite different.
There are times when you want amd to reload its configuration and
other times when you want it to restart (like when you want to
change amd.master). Even if that was not the case not all daemons
reload on -HUP; apache httpd needs -USR1 instead of -HUP and nameless
others die with -HUP. Do you want people to have to remember all
that useless info, or you'd rather hide it under a consistent user
interface?

BTW both "restart" and "reload" are supported rather nicely in the new
rc scripts.

christos