Subject: Re: RAID & swap
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Greg Oster <oster@cs.usask.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 04/07/2000 09:13:44
Manuel Bouyer writes:
> On Fri, Apr 07, 2000 at 08:47:42AM -0600, Greg Oster wrote:
> > It's a known problem.  The swap doesn't get unconfigured, so the swap
> > partition never gets unmounted, and so the RAID set never gets a chance to
> be
> > marked 'clean'.  (See PR#kern/8933 )
>
> Ok.
>

> > > How hard would it be to add a shutdown hook to
> > > close the swap device(s) ?
> >
> > Well, if it was really easy I'd have it done by now :)
>
> >From Audit-trail of PR#8933:
> Responsible-Changed-From-To: kern-bug-people->chs
> Responsible-Changed-By: chs
> Responsible-Changed-When: Wed Dec 1 20:38:31 PST 1999
> Responsible-Changed-Why:
> I'll get the "swapctl -d" code in eventually (hopefully soon
> enough for 1.5, even!), which is some of what's required for this.
>
> swapctl -d is here and works now. Is this what you needed ?

Hmm.... I thought there was some other bits missing yet... unless I was just
trying to get too fancy...

Maybe a 'swapctl -d /dev/raid0b' in /etc/rc.shutdown (or whatever the
equivalent is these days) is sufficient???  (I seem to recall that it wouldn't
be, but I don't recall exactly why...)

Later...

Greg Oster