Subject: RAID advice please ?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: current-users
Date: 04/06/2000 18:17:11
Hi,
I started playing with raidframe, now my DS20 has root on raid0 (which is
a raid1 across 2 drives).
There's nothing in the /etc/rc scripts yet to handle raidframe's parity;
that is initiate a parity revrite in case the parity status is bad (after
an unclean shutdown for example).
For now I added a 'raidctl -P raid0' call in /etc/rc just before fsck,
but the problem is that after an unclean shutdown it will take a very
long time to reboot, because it'll have to revrite the parity before
starting fsck. As I'll have about 10 raid1 sets on the machine this
is not very good.
What are the problems of starting a parity revrite in backround ?
This should allow the machine to continue to boot while parity is being
rewriten.