Subject: Re: jdk1.2?
To: Herb Peyerl <>
From: Jim Wise <>
List: current-users
Date: 04/06/2000 13:28:06

On Sun, 2 Apr 2000, Herb Peyerl wrote:

>anyone know the story on jdk1.2 on NetBSD (i386)?  Either native or
>in emulation?  Last I looked, blackdown wasn't able to run under

They say late is better than never...

If I understand correctly, work on JDK-1.2 for NetBSD is currently on
hold due to licensing issues with Sun/Javasoft.  The basic point is that
Sun in general refuses to permit distribution of binary versions of JDK
1.2.  As the bootstrapping procedure can be rather... intense... by all
reports, this is somewhat of a showstopper.

To add insult to injury, Sun has granted a special exemption to this
rule to the various Linux camps.  Attempts to get them to do the same
for other Open Source groups, spearheaded by a petition drive at have fallen upon deaf ears.  In the mean time, JDK 1.1.8 is
where it's at for Java on NetBSD.

- --
				Jim Wise

Charset: noconv