Subject: Re: The new rc.d stuff...
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 04/06/2000 01:40:17
On Jul 14, 11:29am, der Mouse wrote:
}
} >> You could make it dependent on variables set in a global conf file.
}
} > No thanks.   That doesn't help at all.  I want the "global conf file"
} > to simply go away, while that remains the rc.d job is only half done.
}
} It can never truly go away; the information about what needs to be done
} before what under what circumstances has to be kept *somewhere*.  The
} most it can do is spread out all over the place so it looks as though
} it's gone away because it's not collected together in a single place.

     Yep, and this is one of my biggest peeve with SysV style machines.
Spreading configuration info all over the place makes them much harder
to maintain, and therefore makes them less robust.

}-- End of excerpt from der Mouse