Subject: Re: The new rc.d stuff...
To: Luke Mewburn <lukem@cs.rmit.edu.au>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/01/2000 21:13:25
On Thu, 30 Mar 2000, Luke Mewburn wrote:

# Robert Elz writes:
# >   | then the flags in the file override /etc/rc.conf
# >
# > Which has what purpose left exactly?   To define rc_configured ?
#
# PATH, RC_PATH (if we go that route), rc_configured (if we keep that),
# and other `global' type stuff.
#
# I'm compiling up a proposal covering these ideas on replacing rc.conf.

Sigh.  Luke, you know, I appreciate the effort that's going in here, but
splitting out rc.conf into a bunch of little files makes it a huge pain
in the patella when trying to configure the box.  Never mind the cute
little script that will be required to enable/disable "features"
as needed.  Not being able to read a single config file to determine
what is running on the system is really detrimental both in terms
of functionality as well as, yes, what makes this BSD.  We are going
to be the platform that is the duck-billed platypus instead of the duck.

# NOTE: at the time I put rc.d in I knew that rc.conf needed work. However,
# I figured it was easier to break up the work into chunks:
# 	* ability to start/stop individual daemons/programs/processes,
# 	  and control the ordering using rcorder.
# 	* allow for (automatic) addition/removal of third party
# 	  scripts, including taking into account the potential namespace
# 	  conflict issues
# 	* enhancing the configuration mechanism (rc.conf) to support
# 	  the point above.
# The first has been done. It's time to solve the last two points.

As soon as I get DSL going, I'm going to set up a repository, if I can,
which will contain a preserved old-world-mode rc scheme.  This will be
available for _and maintained by_ the people who determine that a monolithic
rc, a monolithic rc.conf or both are preferable to the nightmare that
a split-up rc.conf will be.

You may consider this a strong vote against any further fragmentation
of the RC configuration.  I don't think it's a practical move.  There
has GOT to be a better way of handling this without going the way of,
say, IRIX.

What's next, are we going to resort to a SAM-like interface from AIX?

How much further isolated from how the OS works will we get?

				--*greywolf;
--
BSD: We Stay Up.