Subject: Re: The new rc.d stuff...
To: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
From: Scott Aaron Bamford <sab@ansic.net>
List: current-users
Date: 03/30/2000 03:10:33
On Wed, 29 Mar 2000, Robert Elz wrote:

>Yes - the point was that we're only half done, rc.conf still exists,
>and that's a mistake.   Aside from anything else it means that only root
>can change the options to any of the daemons, no matter what, and anyone
>granted permission to change any option can change all of them.  It also
>makes arranging config of any of this with anything more integrated to
>an editor quite difficult.
>
>kre

# PROVIDE: named
# REQUIRE: SERVERS

named=YES               named_flags=""

. /etc/rc.subr
. /etc/rc.conf

thats the start of my current /etc/rc.d/named , set up that way so rc.conf
overrides the individuals (though i am working on a program to try provide/set
this info for me so i could type rcconf check /etc/rc.d/named and be told if it
would run or not and rcconf enable /etc/rc.d/named to enable it whereever it
is currently set (in my case /etc/rc.d/named in others cases maybe /etc/rc.conf)

but anyway i got off track there. if you move it to read:

. /etc/rc.subr
. /etc/rc.conf

named=YES               named_flags=""

then the flags in the file override /etc/rc.conf so my named manager with rights
to /etc/rc.d/named can only change it.

 - Scott

 sab@zeekuschrist.com  |  sab@ansic.net