Subject: Re: Nokia GSM phones and pkgsrc? kernel?
To: Daniel Carosone <dan@geek.com.au>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@baea.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 03/29/2000 15:52:49
According to Daniel Carosone:

>If you have a new enough phone that supports the at emulation, via
>either IrDA (no good for netbsd) or the serial dongle, then it's
>simple - it looks like a modem.
>
>the 6150 and 8810 are known to work this way, others not so sure.

The 5110 does not work this way - it has some weird packet protocol
over serial that makes it go.  There was some work on a thing called
gnokii (IIRC) that was aimed at making these phones work but I never
succeeded in getting this working on NetBSD - I got it compiled but it
would not talk to the phone.  Unfortunately, Nokia are not cooperating
with tech details :-(

I did have good success with a 2110 which had a separate GSM pcmcia
interface card which came up as a com port on my NetBSD laptop and
behaved like a modem.  That was sweet.