Subject: Re: Kodak DC215 downloads
To: None <darcy@druid.net>
From: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@MIT.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 03/28/2000 10:15:08
D'Arcy J.M. Cain writes:

> This camera comes with a little USB device that takes the flash card.
> I was wondering if that's going to present a standard enough file
> system to mount.  That's actually what it does under Windows but it
> does use their proprietary software.  I just wonder whether it would
> be worth getting a USB controller card (my system doesn't have USB)
> to try it.

The little USB<->flash adapters are very cute but odds are good that
we don't support them*. You'll have better chances with a PCMCIA
adapter (and a ISA-PCMCIA bridge; maybe try to get a spare from one of
the people who bought the Aviatior WebGear kits? :))

The filesystem on the cards should be normal; once you get access to
the bits you should be all set.

Have a look at gphoto (pkgsrc/graphics/gphoto), which can talk to a
ludicrous number of cameras, including lots of other Kodak
DC200-series models (I use it with my Olympus D-360L; it's fine,
except for being limited by serial port speed).

        - Nathan

* I opened up my SanDisk ImageMate SmartMedia** reader and found a
  SanDisk chip and a Shuttle Tech pair of chips; The Shuttle Tech
  chips are a ROM and a USB-8051 widget, apparantly implementing the
  disk-over-USB layer. Shuttle isn't very open about their hardware,
  and I suspect I'd have to manually decompile the ROM to figure
  anything useful out even with the Shuttle docs.

** Help! I'm surrounded by StudlyCaps!