Subject: Re: Stupid automake!
To: Olaf Seibert <rhialto@polder.ubc.kun.nl>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/27/2000 20:23:28
On Tue, 28 Mar 2000, Olaf Seibert wrote:

> I am currently working on the pkgsrc/cross/binutils stuff. I have had
> reason to change a Makefile. Well, an Makefile.am then. Just run automake
> to regenerate all the other Makefile.* stuff.
>
> Wrong.
>
> The binutils are made with an older version of automake and autoconfig
> in mind than what's current. So it does not work. I get errors like

If you really want automake and friends to DTRT, you'd need to, at
least, make the four changes (below) to configure.in: then it goes
something like "aclocal; libtoolize --copy --force; autoheader;
automake --add-missing; autoconf"; fix any warning; repeat as necessary.

> configure.in: 40: `AM_PROG_INSTALL' is obsolete; use `AC_PROG_INSTALL'
> configure.in: 41: `AM_CYGWIN32' is obsolete; use `AC_CYGWIN32'
> configure.in: 45: automake requires `AM_PROG_LEX', not `AC_PROG_LEX'
> configure.in: 46: `AC_DECL_YYTEXT' is covered by `AM_PROG_LEX'

Seeing as there are already patches to "Makefile.in"'s and
"configure", it's probably easier just to edit the Makefile.in files,
instead of, or in addition to, the Makefile.am's. (The Makefile.am's
would be for submission to cygnus, otherwise no function.)

I noticed last week that the package is a mess (again)--there are
multiple patches in some patch files, multiple patches for the same
file, and patch-mips doesn't apply cleanly with PATCH_FUZZ_FACTOR=-F0.
Any chance you might straighten that out?