Subject: Linux X servers?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Johnny C. Lam <lamj@stat.cmu.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 03/26/2000 16:06:36
I posted this to port-i386, but I got only one response, so I'm hoping
this reaches a wider audience.

Is is possible to run a Linux or FreeBSD X server on NetBSD/i386?  I'm
running -current with wscons, and I downloaded the demo of XiG's
accelerated X server for Linux.  The installation was simple with some
minor script modifications, and the server appears to start, but it
stops because it can't find a free vt device.  Does anyone know how
Linux X servers expect the virtual terminal devices to be named?  I'm
hoping that linking ttyE? to whatever it expects will be good enough.
Incidentally, I've tried linking ttyEn -> ttyn, and that didn't work.

Can anyone else share their experiences running a commercial X server?

Thanks,

     -- Johnny C. Lam <lamj@stat.cmu.edu>
        Department of Statistics, Carnegie Mellon University
        http://www.stat.cmu.edu/~lamj/