Subject: Re: execing gzipped files (was Re: Netpliance Iopener booted with NetBSD...)
To: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: David Maxwell <david@vex.net>
List: current-users
Date: 03/23/2000 21:47:12
On Thu, Mar 23, 2000 at 01:19:46PM -0800, Greywolf wrote:
> The demand-paging algorithm would have to be modified a fair bit if
> it's hitting gzipped executables; it'd probably have to do compressed-
> to-normal page/offset mappings on the first hit on the executable, freeing
> that table once the executable's last reference is closed.
>
> It'd kill demand paging-over-NFS, though, given its stateless nature...

Nah. We'd just need to 'enhance' NFS so the server could do the decompression
and seeks. ;-)

Overall, it's a cute hack, and it's nice to have just to be able to
check it off on a feature list, but I feel about the same way as I do
about compressed MS-DOS drives (stacker etc).

The timer stuff that lead into this though sounds great. I have a few
things I want to examine with that now.

All this stuff in twice the space would only look half as bad!
					      - me