Subject: /etc/path.conf?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/19/2000 16:14:53
Locally I have been using an /etc/path.conf for several years. The
file just contains the path elements, one per line:
/bin
..
/usr/X11R6/bin
/usr/pkg/bin
..

I add the following to /etc/csh.cshrc:
set path = ( `cat /etc/path.conf` )

And to /etc/profile:
PATH=`awk -v ORS=: '// {print $1}' < /etc/path.conf`

Is this something that could/would/should be added to NetBSD?  I have
found this to be a very simple and easy way to manage paths on my
local systems at home and at work.

How do other people add things to a system wide path?  Do you just
edit /etc/csh.cshrc and /etc/profile for each addition/subtraction?

-Andrew
Andrew Gillham                            | This space left blank
gillham@whirlpool.com                     | inadvertently.