Subject: Re: panic: softdep_fsync: pending ops
To: None <hermit@cs.tu-berlin.de>
From: maximum entropy <entropy@zippy.bernstein.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/14/2000 05:05:54
>Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 10:12:15 +0100
>From: Bjoern Labitzke <hermit@hermit.home.cs.tu-berlin.de>
>
>I am doing nightly builds of -current. For a few days now I get the panic:
>softdep_fsync: pending ops. I have not changed the way I use my system,
>[...]
>>From the usage-pattern I would suspect, that the problem lies in the
>combination of the softdep code with union mounts. As long as I work without
>using the union mount (I have mounted a directory above my checked out copy
>of the source tree to prevent writing to it) everything is ok. When I did

I got the same panic a couple of times yesterday, during "make build".
I'm not using any union mounts.  The panics seemed to be caused by
writing a large file to disk from emacs in another window, while the
build was chugging along.

[501]entropy@zippy:~ $ mount
/dev/wd0a on / type ffs (local)
/dev/wd0e on /usr type ffs (local)
procfs on /proc type procfs (local)
kernfs on /kern type kernfs (local)
[502]entropy@zippy:~ $

Architecture is i386.  "finger daemon@zippy.bernstein.com" for dmesg
output.  A crash dump is available if needed.