Subject: Re: "helper kernels" that can load GENERIC, etc.
To: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
From: None <itojun@iijlab.net>
List: current-users
Date: 03/14/2000 11:54:27
>> 	NetBSD/mmeye has been doing this.  It has helper kernel in the
>> 	on-board flashmemory, and it enables pcmcia slot, mounts ATA card,
>> 	and boots (real) kernel on ATA card.
>Is this something that can be done generally, or is it a sh3 only thing?
>I'm thinking this would be quite useful.

	I think it really depends on what kind of boot device for helper
	kernel (flashmemory, for instance) you have, what kind of boot
	procedure you would like to run, and what kind of devices you
	need to initialize to pull the real kernel.

	for mmEye it worked well enough (folks at brains.co.jp did it, not me)

itojun