Subject: aperture driver (Re: XFree 4.0)
To: None <luke@eed.miee.ru>
From: maximum entropy <entropy@zippy.bernstein.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/13/2000 18:36:42
>From: Oleg Polyanski <luke@eed.miee.ru>
>Date: 14 Mar 2000 01:44:42 +0300
>
>        By the way, does anyone know why aperture driver with P6 (and higher)
>        MTRR support is not in NetBSD-current/i386 branch?  I almost wrote my
>        own  MTRR   support code before   discovered  an updated   version of
>        aperture LKM in XFree86 4.0 source tree.   It's not obvious place for
>        searching updated aperture driver.

The aperture driver you're looking for is in our -current xsrc tree.

/usr/xsrc/xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/etc/apNetBSD.shar

I built it from there and it seems to work fine.  But what exactly
*is* "MTRR support"?  I'm not noticing any significant improvement in
performance or anything else, while running X with this driver.

relevant dmesg output:

pci0 at mainbus0 bus 0: configuration mode 1
pci0: i/o space, memory space enabled
ppb0 at pci0 dev 1 function 0: VIA Technologies VT82C598 (Apollo MVP3) PCI-AGP (rev. 0x00)
pci1 at ppb0 bus 1
pci1: i/o space, memory space enabled
vga0 at pci1 dev 0 function 0: 3Dfx Interactive Voodoo3 (rev. 0x01)
XFree86 aperture driver version 1.99b
Pentium Pro MTRR support enabled