Subject: Re: cross-compiling again
To: David Forbes <david@flossy.u-net.com>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/12/2000 06:14:42
Wel, I use the tools regularly to build mac68k kernels for my IIci
(25MHz 68030).  Running the cross-compile tools cuts build time from
4+ hours to just 20 minutes on a 733MHz P-III.  So far, all failures
to boot have been my own code's problem, not due to anything in the
cross-compile environment.

On Sun, 12 Mar 2000, David Forbes wrote:

> I have been trying without success to cross-compile a kernel using the
> cross stuff in pkgsrc.  Has anyone actually managed this, or are these
> tools only suitable for building static userland binaries?
>
> My latest experiment involved building an arm32 kernel on an arm32 machine
> using the arm32-netbsd cross package.  Now I have built the same kernel
> from the same source tree and it works.  In fact, I'm using it right now.
> However, using the cross tools, the compile goes okay, but when booted it
> fails to get as far as putting any text on the screen. (This may sound
> like it's an arm32 specific issue, but I don't think it is, necessarily.)
>
> If anyone's had any joy in this respect, in particular compiling from i386
> to other architectures, I'd love to know how?
>
> Thanks,
>
> David.

|   Paul Goyette  | PGP DSS Key fingerprint:  | E-mail addresses:     |
| Network Engineer|  BCD7 5301 9513 58A6 0DBC |  paul@whooppee.com    |
| & kernel hacker |  91EB ADB1 A280 3B79 9221 |  pgoyette@juniper.net |