Subject: Re: hardware recommendations wanted
To: Jon Buller <jonb@paclink.com>
From: V. M. (Mark) Haas <vhaas@eclipse.net>
List: current-users
Date: 03/12/2000 08:07:17

> Anyone have a recommendation for what to upgrade/replace/add in
> the following situation?
> <stuff cut . . .>

The least expensive and intrusive suggestion I could make is to find a
$20 Ethernet card and plug it into the pc532, and plug that into the cable
modem.

If the deal there is like it is here, the least expensive ISP account does
not provide you your own subnet, but _bridged_ service into their IP domain.
This would make your network segment literally visible to their entire
network.

The above is what I would do.  But, if you can afford it, why not find
a laptop on (choose your own auction house here), populate it with
two Ethernet cards, and use it as a low-power gateway router.

Just my $0.02.

> Comments, Opinions, or Suggestions?
>
> Jon Buller

-- Mark