Subject: Re: NetBSD-current resets
To: Adam Ciarcinski <adam@pulstar.albedo.art.pl>
From: Frank van der Linden <frank@wins.uva.nl>
List: current-users
Date: 03/07/2000 14:37:02
On Tue, Mar 07, 2000 at 02:29:44PM +0100, Adam Ciarcinski wrote:
> For some weeks (or more) I have problem with NetBSD-current on i386.
> 1) It resets the machine when RC5 client is running.
> 2) When I don't launch RC5, GCC usually brokes from time to time
>    saying "internal compiler error" or something similar
> 3) The systems works for very long time (measured in days) when there is
>    no application eating too much CPU time
>
> I have AMDK6-2 350 MHz (overclocked 333 MHz), 128 MB RAM.
> It is running NetBSD for about 2 years with no such problems.

I hate to say it, but these are the symptoms of either faulty memory
or a faulty cache. Nothing happens when you're not running any
processes, because the memory isn't used much then.

You should consider 1) try to lower the CPU speed back to 333, 2)
replace or remove some main memory (or 3, disable the cache, but
this will make things dog-slow).

- Frank