Subject: Re: rc.conf (was Re: wireless / dhcp)
To: None <dolecek@ics.muni.cz>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/06/2000 23:36:12
On Mon, 6 Mar 2000, PER4MANCE, J. Dolecek wrote:

# Manuel Bouyer wrote:
# > On Mon, Mar 06, 2000 at 12:33:16PM -0500, der Mouse wrote:
# > > (2) When are we going to be able to stop having to hack on /etc/rc to
# > >     get it to stop torching /tmp on every boot?!  Yes, blowing away
# > >     /tmp is a reasonable way to want to run a system - but so is *not*
# > >     blowing away /tmp, or at least not on every boot.
# >
# > This is conforme to hier(7). If you want a permanent temp space use
# > /var/tmp.
#
# Clearing the /tmp should be configurable, though.

FWIW, Every system I've seen since I've been on UNIX has routinely cleared
/tmp on a reboot.  If you don't want it to vanish, don't put it in /tmp.
We used to use /usr/tmp before /var was invented...

				--*greywolf;
--
BSD: For The Network Generation