Subject: Re: wireless / dhcp
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Michael Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 03/06/2000 10:19:43
    Laine> Speaking of DHCP client and nameservers - I've recently been
    Laine> annoyed that my commenting-out of the resolv.conf rewrite in
    Laine> dhclient-script is whacked every time I do a make build. It seems
    Laine> like it would be *really* useful if this (and other functions of
    Laine> dhclient-script) were configurable via settings in rc.conf (I
    Laine> think dhclient-script has too much functionality in it to qualify
    Laine> as a "configuration" file; better to move the last few
    Laine> configurable pieces out to somewhere else so that upgrading is
    Laine> less painful.)

Put:

supersede domain-name-servers 127.0.0.1;

into /etc/dhclient.conf. You can override anything you want. I have
my /etc/ppp/ip-up script write an /etc/resolv.conf file as well since the
resolv.conf may be wrong.

  I actually don't do the above, but rather, put a default one in, and then
override things in specific leases. When at sites with DHCP and a private
name server I *don't* want to listen to my name server. (Well, I'd rather
edit the "forwarding" lines, but I don't)

   :!mcr!:            |  Cow#1: Are you worried about getting Mad Cow Disease?
   Michael Richardson |  Cow#2: No. I'm a duck.
 Home: mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca. PGP key available.