Subject: Re: Make install failure in -current (several places)
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Olaf Seibert <rhialto@polder.ubc.kun.nl>
List: current-users
Date: 03/01/2000 11:54:50
On Tue 29 Feb 2000 at 12:43:19 +0100, Olaf Seibert wrote:
> > > With BUILD=1 and UPDATE=1, a make install from (the equivalent of)
> > > /usr/src gets me:

and it builds the whatis database before it has installed all manpages
(it still hasn't built the compiler at that time, and who knows what
else)...

So basically, the instructions on
http://www.netbsd.org/developers/releng/build-release.html (which I'm
following) are wrong. It seems one needs to do an explicit make build
before make install and/or make release, otherwise things go very
wrong... which is bad because the make install tends to touch all
libraries and therefore re-link everything (somebody has already filed a
pr on that).

I'll try to summarise a complete list of everything that I find, when
this is done (my VAX isn't that fast and it's been building for 2 and a
half days already).

-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert - rhialto@polder.ubc.     -- If one tells the truth,
\X/ .kun.nl     -- one is sure, sooner or later, to be found out. (Oscar Wilde)