Subject: Re: 'readline.h' not installed
To: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
List: current-users
Date: 02/29/2000 18:45:43
On Tue, 29 Feb 2000, Todd Whitesel wrote:

> This is one catch to DESTDIR builds: if something has been changed that is
> part of the build system itself, you may have to manually build and install
> it (without DESTDIR) before you can continue.

Right. But that's a general build problem with our -current source. :-)
Everything is set up as: dependall, install. So for programs, if you need
new tools, they won't be installed until after you've tried to build the
program which needed it.

egcs is the only program we'll run off and build and install for you.

> AFAIK there is no general solution to the problem (which is also an issue for
> cross-builds) except to instate a very disciplined procedure for making
> incompatible changes to how the system is built, that everyone must obey.

True.

> Mostly. I've discovered that on quite a few ports the logic is not all there,
> so some things will be missing, or not quite in release(7) format. Expect to
> see some improvement shortly after the 1.4.2 release unless someone beats me
> to it.

Cool!

Take care,

Bill