Subject: Re: 'readline.h' not installed
To: Markus Kilbinger <kilbi@rad.rwth-aachen.de>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
List: current-users
Date: 02/29/2000 09:32:58
On Tue, 29 Feb 2000, Markus Kilbinger wrote:

> that seems to be the most reasonable way for my plan, then. That
> means:
>
> I do a 'make DESTDIR=/usr/tmp/netbsd-build' for example and find all
> the stuff, normally installed to '/' in '/usr/tmp/netbsd-build/?

Exactly. Everything will be under $DESTDIR. I actually don't do
non-DESTDIR builds. :-) Among other things, you're less likely to have a
build corrupt your system. Since your main headers aren't touched, if
there's a problem with the new stuff, they are unaffected.

> But how to create the different distrib files (base.tgz etc.) out of
> this build?

(I use setenv DESTDIR rather than setting it on the make line).

setenv DESTDIR /usr/tmp/netbsd-build
setenv RELEASEDIR /usr/tmp/netbsd-release

cd /your/source/etc		(the etc subdirectory)

make release			or
make snapshot

The tar balls and install kernels and boot floppies will then get built,
and put in RELEASEDIR (in the format you see on the ftp server :-)

> Is the 'xsrc' tree handled in the same way for build and creating the
> distrib files?

Unsure.

Take care,

Bill