Subject: Re: ^W killed my line
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: current-users
Date: 02/28/2000 19:56:56
> Where this gets confusing is in the transition between something
> using libedit and normal stdin.

Or people who use stty to change their tty characters and are silly
enough to expect that the change will actually take effect.

I was so ticked when I found that ftp ignored a typed EOF, simply
because my eofc wasn't ^D.  gdb used to get that right *despite*
providing command line editing, but then someone took a big step
backward and broke it a la ftp.

Today, I even saw indications that -current /bin/sh comes up with
command line editing on by default(!), but that's so hard to credit
that I won't be convinced I wasn't hallucinating until I've
investigated a good deal more.

Why not just snip out stty's ability to set special characters, since
NetBSD obviously doesn't care about anyone who wants to actually use
that capability?!  (Or even, it appears, use some of the defaults for
their documented purposes, like ^W for word-erase - or the dsuspc,
something that's been broken for longer than I've used NetBSD, and I
keep meaning to figure out what's wrong with it.  I can only assume
that *nobody* actually uses the dsuspc.)

Yes, I'm annoyed.  Very much so.  This linking libedit into everything
and its dog is rapidly becoming a right royal pain.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca