Subject: scsi probe cd writer
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Erik Bertelsen <erik@mediator.uni-c.dk>
List: current-users
Date: 02/28/2000 23:15:23
Hello folks,

In my powermac, I get the following dmesg extract related to
atapi and scsi:

atapibus0 at wdc1 channel 0
cd0 at atapibus0 drive 0: <MATSHITA CR-585, , ZS20> type 5 cdrom removable
cd0: drive supports PIO mode 3, DMA mode 1

scsibus0: waiting 2 seconds for devices to settle...
sd0 at scsibus0 targ 2 lun 0: <QUANTUM, FIREBALL ST3.2S, 0F0C> SCSI2 0/direct fixed
sd0: 3090 MB, 7068 cyl, 4 head, 223 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 6328861 sectors
cd1 at scsibus0 targ 6 lun 0: <HP, CD-Writer+ 9200, 1.0c> SCSI4 5/cdrom removable

I'm little confused about the probe of cd1, where I'd expect a second
line like the cd0: and sd0: lines. Why is it not there? It seems that
the probe or attachment of the device stopped halfway through ...

Disklabel cd1 says

disklabel: /dev/rcd1c: Operation not supported by device

-- or am I just expeting something wrong ??

I tried to build pkgsrc/cdrecord and/or cdrecord-current, but apparently
they need some fiddling on NetBSD/macppc. I did suceed to build cdrecord
1.8 based on pkgsrc/.../cdrecord-current with some hacks (the expected
current cdrecord does no longer exist), but this hacked cdrecord says
the same as disklabel above supplemented by a remark about not being
able to load the SCSI driver. How much of this is caused by an
insufficiently hacked cdrecord or by an incompletely configured device,
I cannot tell.

- Erik