Subject: Re: "make install" for kernel build?
To: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
List: current-users
Date: 02/28/2000 12:40:09
On Sun, 27 Feb 2000, Greywolf wrote:

> Would I be considered a blasphemer/heretic were I to suggest an "install"
> target for the kernel Makefile?  To wit:
>
> .if defined(COMPRESS_KERNEL)
> KERNEL=netbsd.gz
> .else
> KERNEL=netbsd
> .endif
>
> install: netbsd
> 	@if [ -f /${KERNEL} ]; then { \
> 	    mv /${KERNEL} /o${KERNEL}; \
> 	 } fi;
> 	@if [ "${COMPRESS}" ]; then { \
> 	     gzip netbsd; \
> 	 } fi;
> 	install -c -m 0540 -o root -g kmem ${KERNEL} /${KERNEL};
>

> ...or something along those lines.

Well, we'd have to agree on how to do the install. :-)

My standard approach is to install the kernel as netbsd.NAME# (i.e.
netbsd.EVERMEET14) and link that to netbsd.new. Then I boot the new
kernel. If I'm happy, I link netbsd.new to netbsd. :-)

It would be nice to be able to customize the install methods easily - like
a site specific way. One of my co workers messed up some of the old
kernels because he used a different approach. With a site-specific install
hook, he'd have done the same thing I did, and all would be well. ;-)

Take care,

Bill