Subject: Re: ^W killed my line
To: Julian Coleman <>
From: Greywolf <>
List: current-users
Date: 02/27/2000 10:47:00
On Sun, 27 Feb 2000, Julian Coleman wrote:

# Now I've got most of my machines to 1.4R, I notice that /bin/sh is linked
# with libedit.  This is a nice feature, apart from one thing that is annoying
# me.  The default setting of werase is ^W.  However, ^W acts just like kill.
# If I change werase to something else (say ^F) it works like werase should.
# Is this just my setup?

emacs bindings dictate that ^W is bound to kill-region.
I typically bind ^W to kill-previous-word and ^X^K to kill-region.
You might want to edit your .inputrc to reflect this (or does -ledit
not use .inputrc, e.g. I am thinking of something else?).

# J
# PS.  History editing for multi-line commands is also a little, er, wacky.
# --
#                     My other computer also runs NetBSD

NetBSD: demonic power.