Subject: public domain vs. warranties! (was: vi update?)
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@most.weird.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/23/2000 02:05:50
[ On Sunday, February 20, 2000 at 20:57:27 (-0800), Jason Thorpe wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: vi update?
>
> Now, regarding public domain code... I discussed this with a lawyer
> a couple of years ago, and he left me with the impression that one
> cannot disclaim warranty on "public domain" code... "public domain"
> being code with no copyright at all, the type you are presumably
> talking about.

Only in the Litigated States of America would you have to worry about
such things as a warranty disclaimer on something placed into the public
domain!  :-)  Am I ever glad my name isn't "Jon Q. Public"!  :-)

(If you're making a public domain contribution then presumably you can
do so anonymously at no loss.  TFN can then claim copyright and put
their own disclaimer in place to protect themselves.)

--
							Greg A. Woods