Subject: public domain vs. warranties! (was: vi update?)
To: None <>
From: Greg A. Woods <>
List: current-users
Date: 02/23/2000 02:05:50
[ On Sunday, February 20, 2000 at 20:57:27 (-0800), Jason Thorpe wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: vi update?
> Now, regarding public domain code... I discussed this with a lawyer
> a couple of years ago, and he left me with the impression that one
> cannot disclaim warranty on "public domain" code... "public domain"
> being code with no copyright at all, the type you are presumably
> talking about.

Only in the Litigated States of America would you have to worry about
such things as a warranty disclaimer on something placed into the public
domain!  :-)  Am I ever glad my name isn't "Jon Q. Public"!  :-)

(If you're making a public domain contribution then presumably you can
do so anonymously at no loss.  TFN can then claim copyright and put
their own disclaimer in place to protect themselves.)

							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <>      <robohack!woods>
Planix, Inc. <>; Secrets of the Weird <>