Subject: Re: vi update?
To: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
List: current-users
Date: 02/22/2000 13:51:39
On Sun, 20 Feb 2000, Greywolf wrote:

> I say we drop the advert clause requirements; if the credit is present
> in the code, that ought to be good enough.

While that's perfectly fine for code you or I write, how exactly are we
supposed to do this to code someone else wrote? The problem with GPL &
advertizing clauses and *BSD programs/kernels is that folks in the past
stuck advertizing clauses on their code which was brought into *BSD, which
means it won't mesh with GPL'd code.

The only way for us to drop the advertizing clauses is to either re-write
the files from scratch, or get the author to drop the advertizing clause.
Note that Berkeley has done the latter. :-)

Take care,

Bill