Subject: Problems with my laptop (different ones now ;-)
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@baea.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 02/22/2000 17:18:24
Folks,
        I have some more issues with my Toshiba Tecra 700CT.  I found
the problem with the lockups - this was caused by a faulty expansion
memory module, pulling the memory module made the machine stable so I
am happy about that.

The questions I have now are:

1) I _believe_ that this beast supports cardbus so I built a kernel
with cardbus support in it and booted it up.  I get the following
messages:

cbb0 at pci0 dev 2 function 0: vendor 0x1179 product 0x0603 (rev. 0x04)
cbb0: NOT USED because of unconfigured interrupt
cbb1 at pci0 dev 2 function 1: vendor 0x1179 product 0x0603 (rev. 0x04)
cbb1: NOT USED because of unconfigured interrupt

What is happening here?  Am I dreaming that this machine supports
cardbus or what?  I don't have any cardbus cards at the moment
but I am on the scrounge ;-)

2) The specs say that the sound chipset on this machine is a ESS688
one.  I tried putting in the ess config line but during bootup I get a
message about an unrecognised id.  Is there any chance of convincing
the ess driver to support this chipset?  I can use the sound in sb
emulation mode but I only get 8bit mono sound instead of stereo.

Finally, a very big thank you to all the people who did the excellent
work getting the pcmcia hot-swap working!  I had reason to try it out
today and impressed a linux weenie (he was saying the even very recent
Linux kernels do not handle hot swap well) - I was able to swap out a
network interface and then put in a new one and have the thing up and
running without a problem and, more importantly without a reboot.
Very cool! :-)