Subject: Strange behavior connecting to non-listening TCP ports
To: None <>
From: Dave Huang <>
List: current-users
Date: 02/21/2000 15:55:35
With my previous kernel, NetBSD/alpha 1.4S from Feb 16, telnetting to a
port that didn't have anyone listening would (eventually) give me a
Connection timed out message, rather than Connection refused.

I've now upgraded to 1.4T from Feb 18, and I get this:

yerfable ~> telnet localhost 1234
telnet: connect to address Connection refused

with the first 3 lines printing immediately, and the last line printing
after an ~6 second pause. "telnet yefable 1234" works as expected though
(connection refused immediately).

So what's with the two attempts to connect to localhost, and why the
long pause? I don't have ipfilter in my kernel, and don't think I've
changed anything in my kernel config recently.
INet:   |   they raise a paw / the bat, the cat /
Dahan: Hani G Y+C 24 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++