Subject: Re: nvi features (Was: Re: replacing nvi with vim)
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Thilo Manske <Thilo.Manske@HEH.Uni-Oldenburg.DE>
List: current-users
Date: 02/21/2000 14:26:03
On Mon, Feb 21, 2000 at 05:13:45AM -0600, erh@nimenees.com wrote:
> > oh, and the last time i built vim, the arrow keys didn't work for me
> > in insert mode.  yes, i know i'm not a vi purist (i cut my teeth on
> > emacs, i'm sorry to say), but after being delighted that they worked
> > in insert mode on netbsd all this time, i was dismayed to find a
> > "modern" vi clone that didn't perform.
> 	hey, I didn't know it could do that.  cool.
> 	but, is it supposed to leave insert mode when you left arrow
> into the first column?
FWIW:
The vims I have compiled from the package tree (vim on one and vim-gtk
on an other machine if it matters) both have working cursor keys in insert
mode in xterms (eterms) and wscons-consoles and don't leave the insert
mode when you hit the left "border".

BTW: I still prefer leaving/entering insert mode and h/j/k/l to the
cursor keys, because it's more comfortable for me (finger-movement vs
hand-movement).  Maybe I'm just lazy :-)

[No, I don't want vim in the base install.]
--
Dies ist Thilos Unix Signature! Viel Spass damit.