Subject: Re: replacing nvi with vim (Was: Re: vi update?)
To: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
From: Miles Nordin <carton@Ivy.NET>
List: current-users
Date: 02/21/2000 00:39:05
On Mon, 21 Feb 2000, Andrew Brown wrote:

> i was *very put off* at not being able to highlight text from a vi
> session in an xterm so that i could paste it elsewhere.

When this happens to you, in general, just hold down SHIFT.  I suspect it
will be happening more and more--mouse-in-xterm is really cool.  It kind
of demonstrates how embarrassingly foolish that whole ``gpm'' thing is.

BTW I was thinking, there are probably a lot of Linux users who get angry
when they type 'vi' and don't get 'vim'.  It's not so much bad as, just,
not vi.  For example, I miss that unlimited-undoo feature.

I'm totally with you on principle-of-least-surprise, though.

--
Miles Nordin / v:+1 720 841-8308 fax:+1 530 579-8680
555 Bryant Street PMB 182 / Palo Alto, CA 94301-1700 / US