Subject: Re: vi update?
To: None <>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: current-users
Date: 02/21/2000 00:29:27
>> Then why don't we have more public-domain code in our tree?  As it
>> stands, our code cannot, for example, be used in sufficiently close
>> conjunction with GPLed code.
> That is total and complete nonsense.

Not as I read the licenses; the GPL requires that if you distribute the
result, it must *all* be distributable under the GPL...and most of our
code cannot be distributed under the GPL; certainly not that with
advertising clauses ("must bear the text...contains code by J Random

At least as of last time I read the GPL.

> For an example, note there is BSD-licenced code in the base Linux
> kernel distribution.

Does the license contain an advertising clause?  (Which file?  I should
probably just go read the license myself rather than asking questions
about it here.)

					der Mouse