Subject: Re: vi update?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: current-users
Date: 02/20/2000 23:49:31
> [...] one of the goals of the NetBSD project is to provide a
> maximally-reusable source tree.

Then why don't we have more public-domain code in our tree?  As it
stands, our code cannot, for example, be used in sufficiently close
conjunction with GPLed code.

I've seen it said that ego will be the death of *BSD.  And when I
contemplate this question, I fear that may be true, since as far as I
can tell the main reason we don't have more public domain code is that
coders want their names in advertising clauses.  (Whether this is a
good thing in other respects is a question on which the archives
contain much verbiage on both sides.  But in this one respect it does
seem rather directly opposed to the "maximal reuse" goal.)

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca