Subject: Re: vi update?
To: Olaf Seibert <rhialto@polder.ubc.kun.nl>
From: Greg Hudson <ghudson@MIT.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 02/20/2000 13:30:18
> "rm $HOME/.vimrc" (i.e., default installation) will get you a very
> compatible vim, even disabling all extra niceties such as unlimited
> undo, command line history, etc.

So, that statement conflicts heavily with what I've heard locally here
(this is about Red Hat 6.1 machines we have in our environment):

	[One user wrote:]
	"/bin/vi" is really vim in a halfhearted compatibility mode.

	[A developer wrote:]
	It might be that we should not install the vim package at all.
	It really is confusingly different from vi.

Based on those comments, I'm going to be replacing the Red Hat vim
with a locally built nvi on those machines.  Unfortunately, I don't
have specifics (I took what these people said at face value), but
there seems to be some disagreement over how well vim does at
emulating vi.