Subject: Re: I must be doing something wrong...
To: Peter Seebach <>
From: Bill Studenmund <>
List: current-users
Date: 02/18/2000 10:44:20
On Thu, 17 Feb 2000, Peter Seebach wrote:

> In message <>, writes
> :
> >	hmm... as for the files getting updated in the domestic tree.
> >I guess make remembers where it found a file in the search path and sends
> >the output there.  Adding NOPATH also tells it to stay in the current
> >directory so output object files go there.
> Oh, very interesting.  So, the problem is that the '_pic.a' -> '.so'
> conversion doesn't know to use the path, otherwise, it would have Just Worked.

You can turn the phrase around and say that the _pic.a -> .so conversion
is designed to work with not-pathed variables. Not having a NOPATH in
there is wrong in this case. :-)

I think it's much better to in general not PATH in .o's.

The reason thinks started working after you removed the obj dir is that
you probablty touched some file along the way which made the other _pic.a
an out-of-date file, so a new one got made in your current directory,
which the _pic.a -> .so conversion used.

Take care,