Subject: re: your mail
To: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 02/17/2000 18:26:50

   > I'm trying to compile exim and xinetd with tcp_wrappers support and I'm
   > running into some funky problems.  My system is a -current (1.4R)
   > compiled a few days ago.
   >
   > With exim I get the following errors:
   >     /usr/lib/libwrap.so: undefined reference to `allow_severity'
   >     /usr/lib/libwrap.so: undefined reference to `deny_severity'
   >     collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
   >     *** Error code 1
   >
   > Of course, a quick grep of libwrap.so shows that these refs are in the
   > library.

   	Certain code in the library depends on those variables being
   	defined by the calling program (which is lightly bogus), and
   	the NetBSD linker chokes if they are not (which is more bogus).

there's absolutely every reason for NetBSD's linker to choke.  the
bogon here is definately in libwrap, but that's what libwrap's API
specifies -- that the linking client must provide these variables..
a dynamically linked program can't run if it can't link -- this
error is exactly the same as not being able to link a binary due
to missing symbols.

   	You can define bogus variables in exim and it should work.
   	How does the version in pkgsrc fare for you?

if exim has "support" for libwrap but does not define allow_severity
or deny_severity, then exim is broken.