Subject: Re: wireless / dhcp
To: der Mouse <mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca>
From: Michael Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 02/16/2000 14:43:36
    >>> The last time this came up I wondered [] whether perhaps an
    >>> interface flag could be invented to mean "do dhcp".

    der> Probably.  Aren't there over a dozen bits still unassigned?

  I like "IFF_AUTOCONF" or some such.

    >> Or "this isn't a physical interface, even though it says
    >> IFF_BROADCAST"?

    der> Why on earth would anyone think IFF_BROADCAST has anything whatsoever
    der> to do with being a "physical interface" (whatever *that* is)?

  If it doesn't say "broadcast", then you can't do DHCP anyway, so it didn't
matter. If you have "ep0" and "ppp0" in your kernel, then dhcp would only try
on the one that coincidentally also was a physical interface.

]      Out and about in Ottawa.    hmmm... beer.                |  firewalls  [