Subject: Re: vi update?
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/16/2000 22:48:43
On Wed, 16 Feb 2000, der Mouse wrote:

# > Anyone opposed to migrating to nvi-1.79?
#
# Quite aside from the license issues...would it fix the speed problem?
# Ever since I went to a 1999-08-13 source tree, vi has been very slow to
# start, often to the point where emacs (my personal variant, at least)
# starts comparably fast.  (file also is slow almost to the point of
# uselessness; in that case I ktraced it and can say with confidence that
# the time is going into parsing the magic database.)

Last time this occurred, it was a problem with malloc behaviour,
according to mycroft.  He did something and the problem went away.

# Since I tend to run old machines (SS1+, SS IPX, Sun-3/60, uVAX-II, etc)
# speed is a nontrivial issue to me.  (You lucky sods with half-gigahertz
# CPUs can't tell the difference between .1ms to start and 3ms to start,
# perhaps, but over here where it's the difference between .5s and 15s,
# it really matters.)

This is so unbelievable, I had to try it.  I discovered there is no
difference in startup times for me between jove and vi.

I should forget vi exists, if this is the case, and just tuck jove
into /usr/bin and be done with it!

				--*greywolf;

--
NetBSD: your basement or mine?