Subject: Re: vi update?
To: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 02/16/2000 12:08:39
seebs@plethora.net (Peter Seebach) writes:
> So, I wonder if I can redistribute the copy in my BSDI distribution, which
> doesn't seem to have the same restrictions.  Heh.  I suppose that'd be rude,
> but so far as I can tell, the sleepycat restrictions aren't present in this
> distribution.  I know they weren't in the version of 1.79 I had way back when,
> during the Dark Ages when I worked at Xerox.

If i recall, the issues were something like that nvi needed db2, and
db2 was licensed under a 'bad' license.  various options were given
about the db2 license, if i recall correctly, one of which was you can
use it in your foobsd system under berkeley-ish terms but with an
additional restriction that it cannot be taken and used apart from
that system, or something like that.

That was, and hopefully still is, unacceptable.

I suggest you look carefully at the license terms on the copy you've
got.

Other things to think about:

* we've fixed the bugs in db1 which people were having problems with,
maybe nvi 1.79 can actually be used with our db1.

* you'll note in the doc/3RDPARTY the note "Bostic says not to update
from 1.66."  I dunno why it's there (presumably because he said that
to somebody 8-), but if that's his opinion it's probably a reasonable
one.

cgd