Subject: Re: Tangent: Current-kernel revision naming...
To: Chris G. Demetriou <>
From: Andrew Brown <>
List: current-users
Date: 02/15/2000 20:00:45
>> actually...1.4.1 (aka branches off 1.4 (aka, and 1.4
>> (aka continues on as 1.4A (aka and 1.4B (aka
>>, etc.  but it would really look funny.
>Actually, _no_.
>the "1.4 branch" (netbsd-1-4 is the tag for this branch in the cvs
>tree) is branched off the trunk at about the time that "1.4[.0] BETA"
>or whatever is declared.

i think what we have here is a semantic difference that i don't really
think is worth debating.  i'll certainly defer to you and your
judgement of "what is", if you grant that my numbering scheme puts the
releases in a logical order.

>1.4, 1.4.1, etc., are tagged copies of that "netbsd-1-4" branch,
>obviously after varying amounts of time and work.  8-)

>the trunk continues being developed with pretty much no attention to
>when the release branch is made.  (often there's some period before
>the branch is cut where people try to make the trunk a little bit more
>stable, but conceptually it's irrelevant.)  -current after 1.4 is
>_not_ in any way a descendent of 1.4.

i merely meant that it (1.4A et al) was a descendant of 1.4 because
1.4A contains all of what is 1.4.  no?