Subject: Re: "Don't login as root, use the su command."
To: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
List: current-users
Date: 02/15/2000 18:30:23
>Here's what I get (under 1.4S of 20000213):
>
>		`logname`	$LOGNAME	$USER
>login		root		root		root
>su		greywolf	greywolf	greywolf
>su -		greywolf	Undefined	root
>su -l		greywolf	Undefined	root
>su -m		greywolf	greywolf	greywolf

hmm.  but it does seem to bear up my idea.  :)

>#### TANGENT!!! ####
>On the naming convention for releases, should we perhaps start calling
>them Major.Minor.Patchlevel.NumericRelease?  Or would it be too confusing
>to reference 1.4S as 1.4.0.19 (vs 1.4.1)?

it should probably be actually be 1.4.19.0, but i'm not sure it'll be
a popular idea.  :)

>It would certainly solve the 1.4<letter> convention and save us from
>running out of chars...

but instead we'd be using up more.  letters are a much more compact
form of representation.

btw - what would be wrong with simply going from 1.4Z -> 1.4a?  it
satisfies the ascii sort order, and would fit into the "kernel version
letter - '@'" methodology.

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|