Subject: Re: "Don't login as root, use the su command."
To: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/15/2000 15:15:59
On Tue, 15 Feb 2000, Andrew Brown wrote:

# it requires no changes to su or anything else...it just won't quite
# work right if /usr isn't mounted.  of course...in that case just about
# anyone people logging in would *be* root.
#
# i just tested a few things (on 1.3.3, um...btw, does anything have an
# account on a -current machine they could lend me for a hour or so?)
# and found that:
#
# 		`logname`	$LOGNAME	$USER
# login		root		root		root
# su		andrew		andrew		andrew
# su -		andrew		root		root
# su -l		andrew		root		root

Here's what I get (under 1.4S of 20000213):

		`logname`	$LOGNAME	$USER
login		root		root		root
su		greywolf	greywolf	greywolf
su -		greywolf	Undefined	root
su -l		greywolf	Undefined	root
su -m		greywolf	greywolf	greywolf

#### TANGENT!!! ####
On the naming convention for releases, should we perhaps start calling
them Major.Minor.Patchlevel.NumericRelease?  Or would it be too confusing
to reference 1.4S as 1.4.0.19 (vs 1.4.1)?

It would certainly solve the 1.4<letter> convention and save us from
running out of chars...

				--*greywolf;

--
NetBSD: Microsoft ask you where you wan to go, NetBSD gets you there.