Subject: Re: how to install staroffice 5.1 (sun)
To: Laine Stump <lainestump@rcn.com>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@jocelyn.rhein.de>
List: current-users
Date: 02/13/2000 21:10:14
On Sun, Feb 13, 2000 at 12:02:58PM -0500, Laine Stump wrote:

> Unfortunately, the pkgsrc Makefile expects you to have the "one big piece"
> single tarfile, and doesn't recognize the 7 pieces. TO top that off, after
> over a dozen tries and several days, I was unable to get the entire one
> piece tarfile from Sun. In the end, I untarred all 7 files, tarred them
> back up into a single file of the correct name, and ran the make install
> with the option telling it to ignore the tarfile checksum (since it was
> different than expected)(I forget the name of the option, but I think it
> tells you when you try to run make the first time).

gnu tar has this:
     -A
     --catenate
     --concatenate  Append the contents of named file, which must itself be a
                    tar archive, to the end of the archive (erasing the old
                    end-of-archive block).  This has the effect of adding the
                    files contained in the named file to the first archive,
                    rather than adding the second archive as an element of the
                    first.  Note: This option requires a rewritable tarfile,
                    and therefore does not work on quarter-inch cartridge
                    tapes.

(of course, uncompressed tar files only).

	-is